Sunday, April 12, 2009

Not one of my best days....

First off, Happy Easter, I have to say that of course. It's been an interesting weekend. I am so exhausted! Seriously, and I never feel tired on the weekends because usually I sleep through it, ha.
Well, Leela started getting sick on Friday and at first it just seemed like she ate something bad and had a stomach ache.
Then she started throwing up, stopped eating, and was extremely lethargic (and this pup doesn't know how to chill out on a regular day).
After 2 days of cleaning up her vomit and not sleeping because you are paranoid about your dog all night, well, Joe and I decided we better take her in.

Parvo....seriously Parvo? My 1.5 year old dog has Parvo? That's ridiculous....and also our fault because she was behind on her vaccinations. (Parvo is an intestinal illness that usually only puppies get when their immune systems are weak and at risk for infections). Apparently there is a new strand that can affect older dogs and it appears that a lot of dogs are getting sick according to our vet.

So now, many many dollars later, she is lying in a kennel in a Banfield Pet Hospital on IV fluids and pain medications. My dog is in the hospital, that's so sad. The worst part is...there is no guarantee that she will even be okay after all of this because the IV fluids and pain meds are only to treat her symptoms, not the actual virus. Awesome....

Well, I hope you had a much better Easter than we did!

Here's to better tomorrows.....

2 comments:

  1. oh......I am soo sorry, Meg. I hope your puppy is all better very soon. I need to check and make sure Diesel has all of his shots. I'm not very good about keeping up with that either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sucks, poor Leela! Keep us updated!

    ReplyDelete